Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lose your Life for Jesus!

Mark 8:34-38 (New International Version)

34Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37 Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."
So many thoughts and ideas are swirling around in my head this morning. The need for me to stop making myself the center of everything but to get emptied out of ME and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I need this DAILY! I just cannot cling to me and how important I am – for I am really not very important in the whole scheme of things! I am like a little ant on the sidewalk of life and then I think of how HUGE God is, the Creator of the Universe, and it puts it in a better perspective. I think about my short little lifetime and compare it to eternity with God. My life is just a blink of an eye. I think of all the times I was offended because someone said something not nice or their actions were hurtful and then I realize that I am giving way more importance to my feelings than I should. So, what do feelings have to do with it anyway? I think about this verse today and how Jesus says very clearly, that we are to lose our lives! It is about picking up our cross and walking with it, daily. It is about making God bigger than ourselves and knowing that He IS greater than i and I need to “let it go” – let go of all sense of self and begin to lift up God as bigger, stronger, more powerful than I am.
Question: Are you making yourself bigger than you should? What can you do to make yourself smaller and God bigger in your life?

No comments: