Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Let it Go!

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

I have always loved birds, even when I was a little girl. For a period of 12 years of my single life, my best companion was my peach-faced lovebird. Her name was Millie and I raised her by hand. I would feed her every 4 hours with an eye dropper and we bonded. She was the best companion for me and I learned so much about birds and their habits. When I would be troubled, I would have her on my shoulder and she would look up at me with her little black eyes and it seemed she would absorb my worries and cares! She never would complain, for Millie would just take one day at a time. Even at the end of her life, she had developed a tumor in her abdomen and it was not treatable. At times you could see she was very uncomfortable and yet, she never complained. She would take one day at a time and deal with life on a daily basis. This is what scripture is telling me this morning, to focus on today and what needs to be done today – forget about what is coming tomorrow or what is around the corner. I believe God wants me to deal with the “here and now” and that includes not looking back at the past. I have seen many people that live in the past and cannot live in the present. The opposite is also true, I see many people that are always looking at what’s next, what is tomorrow going to bring. They too are not living in today. I recall that I was having a meeting with a lady that had so many problems and she was trying to deal with them all at one time. I reminded her that you cannot deal with it all in one day, so to begin with deciding what she could deal with in one day and what was the most pressing thing she had to deal with now. This helped her stop her focusing on tomorrow and all that needed to be done – that is called “worry”. She let all the future problems go out of her mind and she began to focus on what needed to be done today. It was really freeing for her and she realized that she was carrying much on her shoulders. I am using this example in a teaching I will give, “Let it Go”, at the Equipping and Empowering Night on February 12th at my church. One point that I need to stress to everyone is to live in the present and deal with only what needs to be dealt with today. This is what scripture tells me and mostly to not worry. God has everything under control.
Question: Do you have worry in your life? What do you need to let go?

No comments: