Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hezekiah - A Man Under Pressure

"Then the commander stood and called out in Hebrew, “Hear the word of the great king, the king of Assyria! This is what the king says: Do not let Hezekiah deceive you. He cannot deliver you from my hand. Do not let Hezekiah persuade you to trust in the LORD when he says, ‘The LORD will surely deliver us; this city will not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.’ 2 Kings 18:28-30

We are not to listen to the words of the enemy, but we are to stand on God’s Words. This rang true for me this morning as I was reading my devotions in 2 Kings. Here was King Hezekiah and he was living proof that we are to stand firm in our faith when we are under pressure. You see, Hezekiah not only spoke the truth about God but he put it into action. He DID what was pleasing in the eyes of the Lord! He not only tore down the places of idol worship but also told the people to stand firm on the faith that God was going to deliver them. He was a good leader that kept turning the eyes of his people, back to God. This is truly what we all need to do as followers of Christ. If one in our flock begins to get their eyes on things of the world,  listen to lies of the enemy or they are in a state of discouragement, I believe that it is our job to get their eyes to focus back on the Lord. No matter what challenges that face me, I know that I am to stand firm on the promises that God has given me, to live one day at a time and not get my eyes off the Lord. Hezekiah kept telling the people to trust in the Lord and not respond to the words of the commander of the Assyrian army – to not give in to fear – but to follow the Lord with all their hearts. Difficult? Yes! It is difficult to trust in God when everything seems to be falling apart, but then God never promised us that life was going to be easy...but He did promise us that He would always provide for us (Jehovah Jireh) and that we are to rest in Him – for He will fight for us (Exodus 14:13-14). The battle is not ours, but it is God’s. We are not to listen to the words of the enemy but we are to stand firm on God’s Words! So,  as I go through another day with the focus of Christ in my life, I am to put on my full armor and not let the storms nor the winds of life cause me to lose my faith in all that God has promised me. I choose Jesus and not the lies that the enemy wants me to believe. I am the daughter of the King, an ambassador of Christ and perfect in His eyes! This is also true of  every  Christian, they we all have been  adopted into God's family and we are new creatures in Christ. 

Question: Are you listening to lies of the enemy and losing your faith? Be like Hezekiah and keep your focus on God.

No comments: